Thursday, May 31, 2007

Sanctuary For All

This just caught my eye recently: a web-based SciFi show starring know actors, shooting for "broadcast quality" episodes, called Sanctuary. The first few webisodes are free, but they want you to pay $1.99 for each 15 minute segment. You personally might not like the subject matter (deals with some scary creatures), but you have to at least admit that the concept of releasing broadcast quality material online is a good idea. The Star Wars TV show, which is being produced independently of any TV network, may follow suit.

So far, I like the first two episodes. Every once and a while, I catch a stylistic choice with the CG that I personally wouldn't have chosen, but that's really just me. Even with it's imperfections, I am still more excited about this now than I am about the new Star Wars shows that are being worked on. I know - that's SciFi blasphemy. But the recent preview of the new Clone Wars CG series was just, well... flat. Could be good - but why do all the characters walk like they are constipated?

I've heard some complaints about the price for Sanctuary. The argument being that real TV is free. I guess if you don't have something called cable that might be a good argument - but not really. No TV is free. Commercials pay for our "free" TV. Those commercials cause the companies to jack up prices to pay for their advertising budget. So, you see, no television is free.

You can view the first four episodes online for free, as they are released, here. Here is the first episode (two are out so far):

No comments: