Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Podcast Tools: Podium and Odeo


Podcasting is a tool that I love, but never have the time for. Well, that and I don't exactly have a radio-quality voice. Not even close, actually. But I guess that hasn't stopped a lot of people from doing it anyway.

There are many tools out there to help record podcasts. A new one that is coming out caught my eye: Podium. I guess it really is a mix of a sound editor and a podcast creator. Nice combination. The best part is the intro video in the link. It really just gives a basic run-down of what a podcast is. So, the next time that someone looks at me with a blank stare and asks "what is a podcast?" I think I will refer them to this link. From what I understand, Podium will have an educational focus. But I wonder how much it will cost.

The only negative that I see with Podium is the fact that it has to be installed on your Desktop to work. Probably the best online tool I have seen for creating podcasts is Odeo. You can record your podcast in your browser, or upload one from your computer. Odeo then puts together all of the feeds and tags for your audio. Pretty nice. Of course, they aren't the best for a podcast that mixes music and voice (if you want to record it online). But they do handle the hosting for you, as well as giving you a flash player that can be pasted in any web site. I wonder how long it will be before Google buys them (or a competitor).

3 comments:

u2katrina said...

That is incredibly simple to use! However, I'm having a hard time finding the actual Podium page on the Softease website. (Just curious about pricing.) Any ideas? ~Kat

Matt C. said...

I wish I did know where that is. I looked, too. It's supposed to be out soon, they say. If they want to focus on education, it better be cheap....

Matt C. said...

I did find this link:

Softease launching major new podcasting tool at BETT

The site has most individual tools listed between 35-99 pounds, which is roughly $66-190 for individual licenses.