Monday, November 06, 2006

Linux Goes Educational


I've always been a fan of open source programs (OpenOffice, Moodle, FireFox, phpBB, etc). A friend of mine at church (Andrew) started telling me about a Linux project targeted specifically for educational purposes called Edubuntu. I haven't really even ever gotten to install or play with Linux yet, but I like what I see with Edubuntu. They are dedicated to keeping their project free, and to updating it once every six months or so. It also comes out of the box with a great set of free tools for Office applications, music recording, graphics creation, and a ton of other stuff. (See the full list of features here).

Now, this version of Edubuntu is for high schoolers or younger, but they are planning on targeting this for colleges soon. Of course, I'm sure that it is not as macked out as the Windows stuff it is attempting to immitate - but it is free! And, it is designed to work great on old machines that can't do the fancy stuff of the current generation of supercomputers. Nice ideas at work.

No comments: