Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Brief Summer Movie Reviews

My wife and I are actually not that huge into movies. We tend to miss most of them. However, we seem to have gotten a chance to see many of the big releases so far this year. Here are my brief thoughts on them:

Spiderman 3: Lots of good ideas - but too many for one movie. Many scenes, and some characters could have been cut. Not better than part 2, but still a fun movie.

Shrek 3: Really funny. I like Shrek movies. Just as good as the first 2, if you ask me.

Pirates of the Caribbean 3: Great action sequences, great special effects. Hated the ending, but I still enjoyed the overall experience. Keith Richards as Captain Jack Sparrow's Dad is classic.

Transformers: Awesome movie. Plot? Who cares! I love giant, fighting robots. The biggest problem with this movie (as any other Michael Bay movies) is that a ton of innocent bystanders die, without any emotional weight. Mass deaths like that are devastating, and I think the movie would have been better without them. I already know what Creecy is going to say about it, though: "it's a racist movie. The only good guy robot to die was black." Well, Creecy, it's a Michael Bay film - we all knew Jazz was toast from the beginning. His most cliche characters always bite it.

Live Free or Die Hard: I would have never seen this one, if I hadn't have been with a group that wanted to see it. Not a big fan of the Die Hard series. Still, entertaining - even if 90% of the action is even more unbelievable than in the first three. I was waiting for Bruce Willis' sidekick to bust out and say "Hi, I'm a Mac..." at any time - but it never happened.

Coming soon, and looking forward to:

Bourne Ultimatum: Katie and I love the Bourne series. The trailers look awesome - so we'll be there. "I doubt you are sitting in your office." "Why is that?" "Because - if you were, we would be having this conversation face to face."

The Kingdom: Looks like a gritty take at culture clash gone wrong. Set in Saudi Arabia, staring Jamie Foxx and Jennifer Garder (and many other quality actors that I can't pull out of my head right now).

Underdog: The trailer looks hilarious. I'll want to see if the movie lives up to the hype. "Y'know, you never see dogs hurting each other for money." "You never see people sniffing each other's butts." "Touché."

We'll probably also get around to seeing Fantastic Four 2 (yes, I liked part 1), Harry Potter 50 or whatever number it is (never read the books, but they make entertaining movies), Evan Almighty, and Ratatouille before all is said and done.

4 comments:

pimpdaddy said...

First off, I find it hilarious that you started this blog off by saying y'all don't see many movies. I WANTED to see all the movies on your list, but all I've seen is Pirates. Of course I Won't be seeing that racist Transformers movie now, where they fight that "operation: kill blacky" war. ;-) I really wanna see the new Die Hard movie, but I've also been a fan of them. Maybe I'll catch it at the $1 theater. Anyway, good reviews!

Matt C. said...

That was the purpose of the word "however" :)

You should check out those Pink Five movies from the previous post (if you haven't already). They are right up your alley :)

Oh - and I posted on your pimp blog.

pimpdaddy said...

Hey, I saw Live Free or Die Hard this past weekend for my birthday. I loved it! What do you mean some of it was unbelievable? I don't know HOW MANY TIMES I've used my car to fly up and knock down a helicopter. ;-)

Matt C. said...

Yeah - I am still waiting for you to pay back that damage you caused to my 'copter. Those things aren't cheap you know!

Add to my list that I want to see:

Sunshine
some other SciFi movie I forgot the name of.
Iron Man (next year, but still want to see it)